Request format is unrecognized for URL unexpectedly ending in '/HelloWorld'

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:23 PM
Edited Feb 16, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Getting this error? Here is Jeff's recommended fix:

The root cause is technically more ASP.Net than SharePoint.

1. Go to the web front-end server.
  2. Open INETMGR and locate the "_vti_bin" virtual directory which SharePoint creates during install.
  3. Right-click on the "InfoPathDB" folder and choose "Convert To Application"

This will break the ASP.Net inheritance so SharePoint leaves the InfoPathDB folder alone. It has no impact to any SharePoint functions and is specific to that one custom folder only. It is a one time manually step which I couldn't figure out how to put in the WSP. IT just needs to be done once for each web app where you plan to use the ASMX (repeated on each front-end server if load balancing).

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:31 PM
Edited Feb 16, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Another fix found on the interwebs is to edit the web.config file, adding the following:

<tt><webServices>
     <protocols>
         <add name="HttpSoap" />
         <add name="HttpGet"  />
         <add name="HttpPost" />
      </protocols>
</webServices></tt>

Not sure which is the preferred solution.

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:48 PM
Edited Feb 16, 2012 at 7:49 PM

And Jeff's response:

The web.config edit is really meant for ASP.Net applications (not SharePoint) and from what I recall if you do this ... it will work, but only temporarily.  The issue will come back again later and has to do with how SharePoint manages IISRESET memory cache.  The file "touch" resets the cache, but it comes back later.

The INETMGR "convert to application" change is the permanent fix.

Thanks, Jeff!

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I deployed and was able to get to the web service page but when I tried to invoke the hello world I got the

Request format is unrecognized for URL unexpectedly ending in '/HelloWorld' error.  I did the INETMGR "convert to application" and now cannot access the web service page at all.